Monday, May 5, 2008

Two good arguments...

I want to blog about the Iraq Debate soon, but I have to sleep on it before I say anything rash.

For now, I simply point you towards yet another electability analysis by Markos. The argument to the supers that the numbers give Clinton a better shot in November is a mile wide and an inch deep.

An interesting new argument, in my mind, is this Machiavellian explanation from TPM reader RP, an Obama supporter who nevertheless sees some value in Hillary's cutthroat strategy.



Ultimately, I disagree. I think the short term gains of running a lefty Rove-style campaign would be outweighed by alienating the new voters, independents and young people who will form the backbone of this movement in the future. We should be able to win on our ideas.

But to do that, Obama's gotta get better at playing offense all the time. Which brings me to the reason, most compelling to me lately, why the long nomination battle will ultimately be good for our party.

Just think of Hillary as the best sparring partner Obama could ever ask for.

No comments: